Saturday, April 1, 2017

Part 7: Why I Still Have a Place at the Table

A beautiful thing happened in the midst of me getting sober. Do you remember the church, Ecclesia, that I told you about a few days ago? In late 2006 they began the process of planting satellite communities in the greater Houston suburbs. The small group of Jesus followers that helped hold the light for me in this season became leaders and visionaries for a group that eventually became Ecclesia - Clear Lake. 

In September of 2007, we launched a weekly worship gathering on Sunday nights. We were a nomadic group that was blessed with a home in other church buildings to meet together once a week. The hard work of this new church was being done as people around the Bay Area were seeing needs that were not being met and they were determined to bring light to dark places. I was fully invested in my recovery by this point, and I knew exactly where I was supposed to give my life away. 

You see, I love the Church. I believe in the Church, but many of my people, my tribe of like minded broken hearted people, have been hurt by the church. They have been told they don’t fit. They feel unworthy and unqualified. They have been given the message that they don’t have what it takes to be included. 

So, I have committed my calling to being their voice in my church. My messy, open, bold, crass talking, honesty wielding, people loving voice. I have taken up my cross to lay on swords for my tribe. To preach about things like wholeness and authenticity and mental health and addiction. To be open about how God is still using my messy wild life to bring hope to this world.

About a year ago, a friend from our early church days posted this on my Facebook wall:

So today marks the anniversary of our becoming "Facebook Friends" back in 2009.... I am reminded of this crazy chick I met at a church that wore a faux tattoo sleeve shirt to make the new guy feel at home... I am glad you were you...

I was the Jesus loving, coffee drinking, cigar smoking tattooed pastor that he needed. Our church was the open door of grace that took him from the life of a patched-in motorcycle gang member to the foot of the cross. 

Not only did I have a calling, I had a place. A place that still wanted me around in the midst of my messy life. A place that time and time and time again told me in words and actions that I am not only accepted but I am a vital leader BECAUSE my life tells a story of truthfulness. I'm sure there are some times that I make people a bit nervous with my stories. I'm sure that some people walk in on Sunday mornings (advanced warning, this will be the case tomorrow), realize that I have on the Britney Spears headset and they just hold onto their seats. Because, you never know what I might decide to share. 

One of my favorite stories of ECL - and there are so many - is the fact that we now own and have our Sunday services in the building that once housed the Bay Area Club in League City. The BAC (in its new location) is where I went to for my first meeting of AA. That is what I like to call a full circle redemption story.

Here is the bottom line. I have found a church who fully believes in the mission of "journeying together in God’s ongoing rescue of the oppressed." They live this mission in their service and study and community and by embracing all of the things that aren't very churchy about humanity. My friends, THIS is why I still love the Church. I believe that the world needs more of us to throw off the things that we think make us look churchy and get down to being the Church. And I think that will preach for a long time to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment