Thursday, March 2, 2017

6am Rat Trap

My eyes were open before 6am. For many adults, this is not a novel occurance. For me, that indicates distress. Today, the cause is worry and fear. I have one of those days ahead of me that my expereince tells me to hang on for dear life. 

The center of the fear is my child. As parents, we give life to these miraculous and beautiful creatures and immediately upon their birth, our ability to control their environment decreases with each passing moment. They make their own decisions. They rebel and choose paths that we would not chose. Their bodies revolt on them in ways beyond our control. It all seems wildly unfair and yet this is the world that we live in.

As a person of faith, I am taught to give my worries to God, to cast my cares upon my Creator. Others say to trust in God's plan. Here's the real deal. All of these are counter intuitive and when I get honest, not very practical in my get-er-done, results driven mindset.

I need an action plan. I need a goal sheet. I need a to do list. 

And as a stirred and fretted in bed before the sun came up, my mind went to the message I taught last night. "From dust you are formed and to dust you will return."

So this morning I will face the day ahead with remnants of ashes still in my pores. I will recognize my humanity and mortality  I will seek to place my heart in line with the one that created me from the dust. And, in the face of what may come, I will continue to sing the song that we sealed our worship with last night. No matter the circumstances, I will cry:


The sun comes up
It's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass
And whatever lies before me
Let me be singing
When the evening comes
Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name

No comments:

Post a Comment