Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Bruno for the Perm and Win

"Throw some perm on your attitude. Girl, you gotta relax."

Sometimes I gather inspiration from sacred texts. Sometimes it is from podcasts or books. Today, my words of truth are from my good friend Bruno Mars. 

I have always loved music. My interests span the spectrum from pop to 80s hair bands to country to blues. I can jam to James Taylor and Pink! and Alanis and Ed Sheeran. I toss in some dance and funk for fun. But, there is one genre that speaks to me in ways that I am forced to roll down my mom car windows and bass thump through the school zone. Yes, I love gangta rap. Love it.

What about my 90s catholic educated adolescent angst and Baptist college years would make my heart come alive to Snoop and Dr. Dre? When I hear Bone Thugs-N-Harmony or Easy-E, I am transported to a period of 4-5 years when I was coming into my own. I was spreading my wings and walking into walls of resistance and finding my way on my own.

No, I could not understand the gang wars of Compton but I knew what it was like to not fit in the skin of a 20 year old private school girl. I knew that areas of my life were out of control. I had demons. Most of them were completely whitewashed, but they were there. And I would hear lines like:

"Wish I was a little bit taller I wish I was a baller" - Skee-Lo

"I'm gonna knock you out." LL Cool J

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realize there's nothin' left. - Coolio

"Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west a state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness"
-Tupac 

I can't explain it, but I hear these songs and I am transported to a time and a place that I loved. Just ask my morning carpool what happens when one of my 5 hip hop stations spins up Sir Mix A Lot at 7:15am. It is a sight to behold. I am there in all of my 41 year-old yoga pants wearing, white girl crazy, reliving my glory days.

So, it makes complete since to me that 20 years later, music can still transport me. Sometimes the music takes me to hard places. Sometimes the songs that I associate with broken hearts and fractured friendships come on. Every once in a while, I'll hear one that takes me to a specific moment. I can tell you exactly what I was doing, good or bad when that song was permanently etched in my memory. Music is a teacher and healer and pastor and friend to me.

So, back to Bruno.

The four members of my household have passionate music loves. All of us. But these passions rarely intersect. Ally and I do not enjoy alternative music. Lucas hates country. AJ thinks 90's hip hop is ridiculous. But we all love Bruno. When we are in the car together and an argument ensues over the music selection, we all know that the only acceptable compromise is Bruno. Ally knows the most obscure Bruno songs. I think his music encompasses most of her playlists. But this song, 'Perm', is our new favorite. It makes us happy. We laugh. I snap it out with attitude.

And while it is certainly not worded as serenely as a scriptural call to release my cares to the Lord, tonight, I am speaking Bruno and claiming his truth for a houseful of worries.

Girl, we gotta relax!


No comments:

Post a Comment