Monday, March 6, 2017

STOP. Step away from the send button.


That is my lenten discipline today. And, it's a hard one. I just have so much to say. So much that the world needs to hear. Good, good information that could help right the wrongs and clear up disagreements and make sure that everyone knows that I don't affirm their insane approach to life!

I want to correct people by text. I want to edit your Tweet. I want to argue your uninformed Facebook post. I want, I want, I want...

OUR wants account for a large percentage of the wrongs in this world and I am so guilty of constantly desiring to put my 2% in for all to learn from. I know that I don't have it all figured out, but I have walked a few roads in my life, and I feel certain that a few of my fellow life travelers could learn from my wisdom.

Take for instance the junior high lunch table. I am now on trip 3 through junior high. My firsthand experience 30 years ago still causes me to wake up in cold sweats. I hated junior high. I then endured it with child #1. Trip two was equally as painful. Apparently, 6th grade did not get any easier in the 26 year gap. I'm now on round three, and God willing my last. I still hate junior high.

But, let me introduce the modern parent's nightmare. Today's teens have phones at the lunch table. And while I love that my girls want me in their lives, living through the catty conversations of the junior high lunch table for a third time is about to kill me. EVERYTHING is a crisis. Did I mention everything? Now some of these tales are humorous. Some are horribly tragic. But lately, the over the top texts have cause me to send back some top notch responses.

These are actual responses that I have sent in the last two weeks:

"What in the world??"
"Text Ruth" (sorry friends, your name may be inserted at any time to save my sanity)
"Did your sushi make it better?"
"I don't think you are dying, but if you see a light walk towards it. Jesus is waiting."

I just can't help it. Sometimes I have just had enough and after 42 years, I am over 6th grade. I can't do it. I just can't. I try, but I can't stop myself.

What is your 6th grade? What voices in your head or on your feed take you to that place where you just need to drop the electronic device and not respond?

Much like my 6th grader, most of the world does not want my help. So I will sit tonight and let go of all the snarky responses. I will honor myself and others by saving my wisdom for those who ask me to share. This sounds like a simple act, but for me, this is discipline. And, it is one that I need to work on.



No comments:

Post a Comment