Saturday, March 25, 2017

Taylor Swift, Blink-182 and Pink!

Our oldest decided that she wanted to play the guitar when she was in the 3rd grade. This sent me on a search for a teacher. Up until this point in my life, my only journey into instrumental excellence came from a painful two and a half year attempt at piano lessons. My piano debacle ended in a full blown pre-teen fit in the teacher's yard where by I loudly proclaimed to my mother, "I know dad wants someone to play for him in his old age, but I can't do this anymore!" Seriously, I have no idea where my girls get their drama...

I have always loved music. I tried choir in middle school. I auditioned for the ensemble group in high school. Fortunately for the ears of all involved, I was not selected. I made a run at the church bell choir, but I really did not play music, I played color coded circles. On a good day, I did it correctly.

I should have known that AJ would be more passionate about musical mastery from the beginning. We bought her a small electric guitar and she learned some songs. This was in the height of Taylor Swift's rise to fame, so the story of a blond haired teenage songbird had my dreamer hooked. Each week I would sit at her lessons and stare at the beautiful guitars. I had no idea how to play or tune them, or even read the music. I was watching my kiddo pick up on these skills, but they were foreign to me.

After a year of looking and dreaming, I mentioned to her teacher that I would give anything to have the coordination to play drums. I mean, really? Who does not want to be cool enough to play drums? Say what you want about the lead vocalist, but when I see a concert, I am mesmerized by what is going on in that cage. My coordination gifting, however, did not set me up for Travis Barker like success. I knew I would look like a cross between an arthritic giraffe and Animal from the muppets. I am not cool enough to be a drummer.

But he would not let the idea of me trying something new die. Each week, he harassed me about trying guitar. I knew the technique involved in being a good guitarist was challenging at least, so I sheepishly began peeking past the shiny black acoustics to the bass section. I had no idea what it took to play bass, but damn they looked cool. So one night, I went on Amazon (stop wincing, musician friends) and bought a bright pink beginner bass with a checkerboard strap.

A few weeks later, I took my first lesson. That was more than 5 years ago. Every Thursday, I take my 30 minute lesson. The best part of my teacher is that he has never forced me to learn theory or guilted me about practice. Instead, he lets me bring in everything from Pink! to David Crowder and we figure it out together. Over the past 5 years, he has learned a lot about being a momager of two girls and pastoring a church. I have learned what it looks like when you give your life to a passion and don't let education or a paycheck determine your success. I like to think it is a mutually beneficial lesson.

I will never be a great bass player. I had taken lessons for two years when I was guilted into playing in front of another human. Since then, I have joined the band at ECL. Let me be very clear, I am far from self sufficient. Most Sundays that I play require remedial help from both my teacher and our worship pastor. They both graciously encourage me. My family has the pleasure of listening to me practice in the living room. I secretly enjoy practicing on Saturdays when they are all in the room because without fail, they sing the songs. Even though they act like it drives them crazy, they love the preview of the next day's set list.

We mistakenly think that in adulthood we master things, not begin them. At 36, I needed to learn a new skill. At 41, I still need to be a student. I need to have times that I am relying on someone else to teach me something new. We all need to regularly place ourselves in the humbling position of student. When we think that we have figured something out, we become complacent. When we take a beginner's class or start a new job or walk into a gym for the first time, we are intentionally saying that we are ready to learn. This is a powerful statement.

If I ever grow up, I still want to be a learner. I want to travel to new places. I want to read new philosophies. I want to sit at the feet of people that have already learned and be their student. I never want to reach the place where I think I know all that I need to know. That is lame. And, it is also the time that arrogance and insensitivity and ignorance and hate begin to weave into your consciousness. When we become stagnant, we invite into our hearts and souls the space to assume that we have life figured out. I don't know about you, but I have much to learn.

So, book an art class. Sign up for a retreat. Seek out a spiritual mentor. Join an exercise group. Take a swim lesson or get your scuba certification. Learn to sail. Take an e-course. Join a book study. Find a way to place yourself in a position of learning. Not only will you be blessed by the education, but you will cultivate gratitude for all those around you who are struggling to master a new computer skill or Algebra or faith or sobriety or the bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment